15 Nov 2012

Fernando Torres was presented with the Golden Boot for finishing as top scorer at Euro 2012 - and the Blues No9 revealed he might never have made it in the game but for a serious injury in his teenage years.

The striker netted three times in just 189 minutes of action as his country retained the European Championship and he is currently the Chelsea's joint-top scorer this term with seven strikes from 18 appearances.

After being presented with his prize, Torres took us back to his formative years to reveal how he used a nasty injury to his benefit, shaping him into the player he is today.

"I had a very bad injury when I was 15," the 28-year-old revealed. "I broke my patella tendon and I had to do a lot of work in the gym; before that I was so skinny. So i was working on my quads especially to build up the strength around my knee, and I started to be more about power than speed.

"I think everything happens for a reason. Maybe that helped me because I had been playing with huge pain in the knee. But after that we won the Under-16s European Championship here in England with Spain and then I played with the Atletico Madrid first team, all in the same season. It was a bad time and a good time for me that year!"

Click Here to like our facebook page for current news and Entertainment




Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment